Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Splint is out!


Hey, I'm a class I now!! Go check out the photos I just added, especially my new occlusion.

So yesterday (day 15) was splint removal day. It was painless except for one particular snip which was loud and startled me. There sure were a lot of wires holding that bugger in there and it feels much better not only with the splint out but the wires as well. Dr T said everything looks perfect! It was very surreal to look in the mirror and see my top teeth overlap my bottom teeth for the first time in my life. I could look in the mirror for hours but it still hurts to smile very wide.

As soon as I got home I called my girlfriend at work and gave her a nice little surprise. "Hey baby, how you doin'?" ...she was definitely taken aback to hear my voice after so long. Talking makes my lower lip insanely numb, and today the muscles in my face feel pretty sore but Motrin seems to be helping somewhat. I'm not saying too much today.

I finally got brave enough (or fed up perhaps?) and took my elastics off last night. Gotta learn to replace them sometime! I tried using the little plastic hook tool Dr W gave me (thanks for the head's up Kelsie!!) and found that it helps for getting them off but only partially for putting them on before I just use my fingers. I have too pull my cheek back so far to get to the first molar, ouch! I think I have myself a little system now and it seems to work reasonably well without taking too long to do.

It took a while but I managed to eat a cup of apple sauce with a baby spoon. What a chore. I could feel myself wanting to open wider but the pain said, "think again buddy!". So I've graduated to a cup with a straw for now (without having to take my elastics off), and even that is a bit awkward. I find I need to bite the straw a little to reduce the flow, but it works. I also seem to be sensitive to cold so I'm letting things warm up a little. I realize I'm going to have to teach myself how to eat again.

Dr T said for me to practice smiling wide and puckering my lips to get the swelling out and help the animation return. He didn't mention trying to stretch my jaw yet.

So, the journey continues. Lots of swelling to get rid of, animation to return, numbness to subside, and food to eat. Onwards!

12 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Kristy Eng said...

Graham looking good, and lucky you the splints out already!!! Road to recovery. I've been checking your blog like every hours, cuz i knew you would update soon as ur 2 weeks now and was curious if u got that dredful thing out, so glad for you that u did. Looking good, teeth are amazing and i cant believe how well u are smilin already!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger bobanna said...

Hey G!

Awesome photos btw - hearing you yesterday made my week! Thanks so much for calling me; it was a great way to end the day. You are doing really well and I am so proud of you! Can't wait to see the new midline in person ~ xoxo

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Tara said...

WOW Graham. Look at the profile and bite!!!!! Looking GREAT! I bet you are thrilled! And I can only imagine how nice it is to get that split out finally.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger chris k said...

Way to go buddy! Looking great.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Way 2 FAB! The new Occlusion is something to be excited over, WOW!
Great news, Im happy for you!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You look fantastic! 15 days, WOW! So glad that you were able to get that yucky splint out.

Take care and keep puckering!!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

You ARE first class, my man. First class all the way. Enjoy these days of wonder--they go by fast.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Yeah, overlap!!! Looking good!!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're smiling already! Way to go. Good luck with the baby food, hope you get a decent selection.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, did you just advance the maxilla or setback the lower jaw as well? cos i belong to the class 3 classification, i was told that i need to the double jaws surg

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Just checking in to see how you are doing.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Dezi said...

You're looking good! My surgery is in less than two weeks! Thanks for your posts - it helps us who have yet to have this experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home