Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Elastic man

Today was adjustment #9. I dragged my butt out of bed at 6am to get there for 7:30am since it was the only slot available on such short notice from last week. It was nice and quiet though, almost like having the place all to myself!

As planned, two brackets on my lower left side we rebonded. The burr didn't bother me at all this time - sweet. Janet was my technician today and she did a great job. She was almost ready to let me go when I mentioned the class II elastics. My lower wire was downsized one or two weights so she figured I'd have to wait until my next appointment to get them on but Dr W chimed in and said they should be put on today. So I have one on each side going from #7 on the bottom to #3 on top, and these buggers are a bitch to put on. My molars are fairly sore right now and I can also feel my front lower incisors getting pushed outward. I also have a power chain on top from 3 to 3 so I don't get any gaps opening up due to the elastics. Overall, lots of opposing forces going on in my mouth now! My bite is already different; my lowers are back to being in front of my uppers, for the most part. Perhaps I'll be able to chew slightly better until surgery now.

The other good news is that Dr W thinks I'll be able to stay on the surgery list for October. Arlene is going to call and see if they can get me in for late October but if not then Dr W said he'd just do whatever he can until my actual date. He said he thinks I'll make it given that we have all of September and part of October. I've already started thinking about beginning the handover for things at work. Not too sure how that will turn out.

Oh, and I could have sworn that he said my lower right canine needs to be rotated (and presumably rebonded). I'll ask next time.

Photos are on my Flickr site.

6 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Kristy Eng said...

wow great news, right on track, im so jelous, I want to go in october, dammit!!! HEHE wana trade dates, lol. Glad to hear you are right on track, sorry to hear about all the comotion going on in your mouth, power chains, wires, elastics, gives me the heebee geebees:(

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Shontelly said...

Hey there Graham!

I'm also aiming for Oct! I'm getting excited over here just thinking about it and nervous at the same time just as you are I'm sure. I've been looking through old posts of folks who have had the same surgery to see how they recovered and all that good stuff.
Well take care.

Shontell

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orthodontics that early in the morning? Eeek. One thing I don't miss about orthodontics are the elastics, they're a bit of a drag huh.

Glad to hear the surgery is getting sorted out! Keep us updated.

- beneath the stars

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those little rubber bands can be a real pain and no amount of aspirin really helps. Despite that, they are fun to shoot at people and can go pretty far. I still keep finding packages of them :)

Hope that you lock down the October date! It would be exciting to see a bunch of people go in Oct. and you will have each other to get you through the rough spots. You'll also have us post-oppers cheering you on!

best wishes for a lock on the surgery date! - Amy

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Exciting. :)

Dude, you should be an orthodontist! I read your blog and it leaves me scratching my head sometimes because I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I chose to go the 3rd grade route and say things like "that pointy tooth" or whatever in my descriptions. ;) OK, I do know what canines, bicuspids, and molars are and all, but after that, me not too smart.


When I read your post about surgery might not being necessary, I got a bit nervous for you! Only because surgery is a "sure thing" -- you're going to get results and damn quick! The use of elastics sounded sort of like a "what if" scenario that could drag on and on. You'll love it. It's awesome. ;) And having gone through the upper and lower (when I thought I was an upper only until 3 days before surgery), I can say it's really not too bad. Numbness is just an annoyance. In most cases it goes away (as you know)...just takes awhile.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

LOL...I had to laugh when I read the first line about you dragging yourself out of bed. My appointments are always at 7:10 am and I live 45 minutes from the ortho's office so I have to get up at like 6:00am in order to be on time!

Can't wait to hear what happens at your next appointment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home