Thursday, October 25, 2007

Arrrg! The Return of Captain Hook!

You know you're ready for surgery when…



…you have 6 hooks on top and 5 on the bottom! I didn't realize he would have to take the wire out to put them on. As it turns out they are the same type of hooks he put on for the class II elastics; and for those two he just bent them on to the wire. So technically I was Captain Hook before I even realized it!

He made a small adjustment on one of my lower right pre-molars, and I asked him if he could tilt my left central incisor to try to close up the space a bit more. He explained that the space is due to gum recession and that because of the irregularity of the shape of my teeth I would likely need to get veneers to completely eradicate that space. Veneers are also a better and more permanent solution for my peg laterals (which are now bonded in case you forgot). Gum tissue can only fill in so much space. He cited a study in which gum tissue was shown to grow back if the teeth are augmented to the proper shape. I've had a feeling this would be needed, but veneers are $1000 each so I may be waiting a while to get those! Maybe I could do more bonding in the meantime if it's really bothering me. We'll see how things are once my braces are off.

I asked if he would be talking to Dr T before Monday - he said no. They've worked closely together for long enough that he knows what to expect from him and vice versa. My surgery is very routine for him and said they consult only when really special cases arise. Everything I've heard from both docs has been in sync so I'm fine with it. They both have a very good reputation. Dr W said it is really Dr T who calls the shots, which makes sense.

One of the really cool things about Dr W is that he knows how to do some cranial therapy and uses it for his surgical patients. I go back to see him the following Wednesday for 20 minutes of this and again 3 weeks later. I definitely need to go back to the cranial RMT following surgery too. I'm definitely sold and I would highly recommend it to any jaw surgery patient or even just for general relaxation.

I ate lunch avec les hooks. Not too much trouble, and my lips aren't bothering me too much right now. I do seem to have some irritation at the right corner of my mouth though. I think that appeared after getting the models done at Dr T's pre-op. Vaseline seems to be making it more bearable but I hope it clears up. We'll see how things are by Sunday, but I suppose it won't matter much after surgery.

You will notice that I changed my photo links. I ran into some trouble with my Flickr account so I copied everything to a new Picasa account. I will be posting all my post-op photos there.

6 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Looking good Graham,
Looks like you are ready to go! I have another lady I talk to who is also headed into surgery on Monday. She will be having upper, lower, and genioglossus advancement.

You sound very calm, like you really trust your doctors. I think that is so important, and definitely helps make things as stress free as possible prior to surgery.

I know you will do great! And soon...be looking even better!
Good luck to you! and I look forward to seeing you on the other side!

Brandy

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahoy Matey, How be thar hooks? - arrr! Thar sure be a grand load of silver in yar mouth!

Glad to see he gave you the "high" end hardware with the balls on the end...still those suckers can be irritating. Your on your way now. Now go have a grog ye scurvy dog! ;)

Amy (better known as Cap'n Beatrice Bloodgut)

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yay Picasa! Boo, Flikr! OK, I work at Google so I may just be a little bit biased...


I have been thinking about you a lot especially today. I feel so excited for you! Can you believe it's time? It takes forever, you think it's never going to happen, and then here it is! Soon it will be done!

I had different hooks. I wonder if I got lucky. Most of my brackets have little bumps on them so I only needed 4 hooks on the top & bottom and they were just loops made with wire. Not saying they weren't a little annoying. ;)

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger chris k said...

We're with you Graham! So close so close. Can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about it.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Hey Graham, just wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow!!!Can't wait to see your "after" pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home