Thursday, October 18, 2007

10 Days To Go!

So here I am, 10 days before my big face reconfiguration. I'm feeling somewhat smug about it lately. I'm so used to blocking it out of my mind; until now it's felt like an eternity away. I'm sure these ten days will go quickly. I still have pre-op, hooks, and lots of last minute madness at work to get through.

One thing that is freaking me out lately is something new that I learned, one of the possible complications of this surgery. Maxillary delayed union. It basically means that the upper jaw doesn't properly grow back together and in some cases a second surgery is needed to fix it.

I know, what are the chances, right? But it happens.

I suppose a ton of other things can go wrong too, like maybe I'll catch a superbug in the hospital.

Meh. I'll just have to roll with it.

I plan to take some pre-op photos this weekend, so I'll be posting those fer y'all.

I went out and got some True Mass. I figure it will be better than just soy protein like I had last time. I am also going to get some Vega and bromelain capsules to put in my shakes.

I think I'm ready. Err, well sorta.

5 Comments:

At 2:03 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Graham,
10 days out....can you believe that its almost here! I totally know what you mean, it sorta almost has an unreality to it when it is so far away don't you think?

You will do fine though, and the worries about delayed maxillary union are so rare. I have some special contacts, and asked about this with one of the number one most leading surgeons in the U.S. He said that it is very rare, and could result in a second surgery, however, in most cases it resolves itself on its own. There is only about a 1% chance of it, and you are so young, healthy, and take good care of yourself! Just put it out of your mind, you will heal like a champ!

I found out today that I will be getting my braces off on November 29th! Soon, you will be in my shoes and this whole ordeal will be over! BUT! you will have this great, amazing, totally new smile that will make it all sooo worth it! (ask me how I know?)

The true mass is probably a good idea for you. I know you sorta struggled with the eating thing last time. You will definitely need protein, and calories, so anything that will keep your strength up, keep you from getting weak, and help you heal will be a bonus. Also the bromelain worked really well for you so I think that is a good choice too.

Be sure and take some good before pics. They are great for comparisions once your swelling starts to come done. It is very motivating to really be able to see just how much your smile has transformed!

Be sure and keep us updated with your progress, as we will all be follwing your journey and wondering how you are doing. I'm so excited for you! I'm so happy with my results and I know you will be too!

Good luck my surgery buddy!

Brandy

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Shontelly said...

Yay! Ten days to go! woot woot!

I was beginning to worry about this staff infection business I've been hearing of myself.

I can't wait to see your new face and all the funny posts you'll be posting.(your good at that) Especially on drugs. ha!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ditto, Ditto...
I'm thrilled that you are so close Graham, I cant wait to hear all about it. You will do wonderful!!! Just don't let them confuse you with the lady in the next room getting implants! Hehe

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger chris k said...

Way to go brother I'm stoked for you. In the shake department I've been using different flavors of CytoGainer. Definitely mix your stuff with milk or better, soy milk. Go get'm.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Graham,
Didn't forget you are having surgery in almost a week. I hope you are enjoying all of your favorite foods and getting through the "freak outs". I actually felt pretty calm the day before my surgery...I think you just get to a point where all of this just gets accepted. Your REALLY having jaw surgery. You've come a long way and soon will be sporting the new smile you've worked so hard for. Keep us posted!
Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home