Monday, November 05, 2007

One week post-op

Well here I am, one week post-op. I must say that the first week was pretty brutal, largely due to the fact that breathing was so hard to do. We called the OS on day 5 and he thankfully allowed us to cut the front elastics to allow more air in. That made a huge difference and I was feeling markedly better by the end of the day.

Sleeping is still a work in progress. I wake up probably once an hour and can count the number of times I've had REM on one hand. I find that I am tired early in the day and then my energy increases later on.

I am still somewhat unsteady on my feet. The swelling has a lot to do with that and also the horrible posture I've been forced into with all the pillows behind my neck. Even just sitting here at the computer feels like exercise. But I remember I had a similar thing after SARPE, so I am hopeful things will improve soon.

As far as pain, the genioplasty seems to be the most irritating part. My lower lip and chin are excruciatingly numb, and yesterday I think talking too much did me in. So I think I will try to use small amounts of codeine or Motrin over the next few days and see how that goes.

I've been steady eating True-Mass and PC Meal Replacement shakes. The True-Mass has lots of protein and other good stuff, but I am looking forward to more variety soon. Janna is keen to make me a pina colada protein shake, but we may have to strain the pulp out. I tried some blended pears and even that was enough to almost choke on a tiny unblended piece.

Tomorrow is post-op appointment numero uno. With any luck he'll take the splint out but I'm pretty sure he'll leave it in for another week.

I was looking in the mirror at my teeth today and noticed that my midlines seem to be aligned! So exciting!! Now if I could just get in there and clean would be a godsend.

Thanks so much for your comments everyone, I really appreciate them and they have helped me keep things in perspective.

Anyway, not like I need to say it but do check out the new photos I posted!


At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, haven't been on here in ages but am glad to hear you're coming along. Keep drinkin those shakes! Good luck with the post opp appt.

At 9:45 PM, Blogger JenNicole said...

I am so amazed at how well you are fairing! You look great, and appear to be healing quickly. There is nothing like having the evil splint removed, but even better the first brushing of the teeth once it is gone! Enjoy your down time! I can't wait to see your photos once the swelling and bands are gone.

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Great to hear you are surviving. Cant wait to see you when the swelling goes down. By the way, loved the halloween puppets!

At 2:04 AM, Blogger Shontell said...

Hey there Grrraham!
Are those bruses on your neck?! wow.. and how exciting to see those midlines match up?! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Hey Graham. You're looking good! The first week is the hardest, so it should be "smooth" saling from now on (well, as smooth as having your jaw banded shut can be)! Can't wait to hear how your first post-op appointment goes!
~ Tara

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck at your appt. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that splint to come out soon.
You sound like you're doing really well.
Awesome news about the midlines. I can't wait for my day to come!!

At 2:43 PM, Blogger bobanna said...

Hey Gray!
I know you are about 10 minutes into your post-op appointment right now and I'm dying to know what the word is! I am so impressed with your diligence keeping the blog posted up-to-date and lots of pictures too. I’m excited to see what other small changes you start to see as each day finds you stronger. xoxo


Post a Comment

<< Home