Thursday, November 29, 2007

1 Month Post-Op!


Today marks 30 days, a whole month since I walked into the OR. It feels like longer than that and I wish I could speed things up even more but I think I'm doing pretty well at this point all considered. I think one of my main obstacles is to get out a little bit more to prove to myself that I can do it and slowly integrate myself back into regular life. Slowly is the key word. For example I desperately need a hair cut!

I'm happy with how things look so far, I've come a long way. What's not apparent in the photos however is how numb my face still is, especially my chin and lower lip; that I can only open my mouth a little more than the width of one finger, and that my energy while greatly improved is still on the low side.

I left my elastics off for 4 hours last night and during that time my right lateral seemed to be knocking into my lower right incisor and eye tooth which hurts. The elastic also feels like it's pulling my lower right eye tooth too hard. I see Dr W for a cranial treatment tonight so I will mention it to him.

With the holidays coming up I am a little bit worried about what state I'll be in. I'm not sure I'll be ready for an adjustment before I leave Toronto for two weeks on the 16th. I just don't want to be stuck wearing these damn boxed elastics for longer than six weeks if I don't have to. Plus I really hope nothing dumb happens while I'm away, I definitely don't want to have to come back here and interrupt my vacation. But I'll try not to worry.

Does anyone want to do my Christmas shopping for me? ;o)

6 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger bobanna said...

Hey G,
I will be your personal shopper if you can dig it! You are still doing really well in spite of everything and I hope your appointment tonight will offer you some relief from the tension you're feeling. Nice new pics!!!

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Graham,
You are looking great. It sounds like you are coming along wonderfully! Before you know it, you will be all done and getting your braces off like me!

Boxed elastics are sortof a bummer but they do a good job so you must suffer in order to achieve greatness! LOL...

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Brandy

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Hey Graham, you continue to look great. I am with you on the slow integration back into society - I'll hit 30 days tomorrow. I recommend no more than 1 hour of Christmas shopping at a time -- at least that's all I could handle. Not sure if that had more to do with the recovery or the fact that it was Christmas shopping, though. Good luck!

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're looking great! Don't worry about the numbness, that will eventually go away, ask our little sister!
I'll definately help you with the shopping if needed! : )

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Hi Graham,
I'm going to get my chin moved forward too after my lower jaw is moved back. Sounds like the chin things was the move painful and annoying part for you. Do you think the chin extension was a good decision since it also equalised the excess skin you would of had due to your lower jaw set back? You look great! Jen

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Hi Jen... Definitely I think the genioplasty was good for me. I know I've complained about it but it was all par for the course and really after 2 or 3 weeks it wasn't so bad. More an annoyance than painful. Of course your milage may vary and your surgeon knows best so I would go with what he/she recommends.

Now, technically speaking in my case I think all he did was recontour my chin rather than move it. I keep meaning to ask him but I don't see any metal on the xrays.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home