Thursday, March 30, 2006

One week post-op


30 hours post-op ______________ 7 days post-op

Well here it has been one week since surgery. As you can see the swelling has gone considerably but still a bit to go. Small bit of bruising on my cheeks still but that is also fading. I talked to a couple of people on the phone today and they said I sounded a lot better too, and I think I'd agree. I still need to be careful not to overdo it but it does feel improved even from yesterday actually. My range of motion in my upper lip is also very slowly improving. Still a way to go as far as eating is concerned however. I tried apples and cinnamon oatmeal this morning and those little dehydrated apples were too rubbery to chew even after cooking. Shoulder and neck are still bothering me. Gotta try to find some liquid ibuprofen. Doubtful that children's Motrin will cut it.

Today was expansion day #5. The first turn was easy but the second one hurt too much so he stopped. The thing now is that I have to wait until Monday for the next turn. I'm worried about my jaw healing up too much before then meaning that the next expansion might really hurt or be impossible. Anyway, my OD had no worries over it. The good news is that he said the crossbite on my right side is almost gone, woohoo! This is after only about 10.5 turns and I can clearly see the improvement in the mirror too. I just wish I hold my mouth open wide enough to take a photo of it!

3 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Graham,
I was concerned about the time after my last expansion before I saw my dentist and approved that we had enough space. It was 5 days in between keys. He told me there was no worries that it doesn' heal that fast and that they could still turn it several more time if need be after 5 days. I have to say that it has been a week since I stopped cranking the key and I can most definetly tell that things are not anywhere near healed. They are still moving around so I wouldn't worry too much. It might just give your mouth a bit of time to adapt and then feel better next time you key it. Expansion was the hardest part for me. It was not painful but WAS unpleasant. Has your doctor said about how many turns they are going to make?

Brandy

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Can't imagine what the expansion process must be like but hope all goes well today. hopefully you can get some liquid ibuprofin...if you can't maybe try your local health store..they may have an herbal or homeopathic alternative in liquid format that you could try.I'm surprised they didn't give you some as a perscription but perhaps since ibuprofin pills are usually so small they thought you'd be able to take those. Take care!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Brandy... Dr W estimated we'd need to do between 24 and 30 turns. I've had about 12 and a bit now. My crossbite is almost gone on the right side so I'm hoping the left decides to catch up soon!

Rox...yeah, got some Motrin which helps a little. Tastes awful though, like those really strong tart candies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home