Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Go Go Gadget Lateral Bypass!

smile bypass adj 6 wk 0 - 1

Today was my double bypass day, err well you get the idea. As you can see I have a fancy bypass wire on now. Dr W removed my old wire and coil contraption and then bent the new wire into the proper shape and fit it in. Jasmine, a friendly new tech in the office, then used a burr to grind off some glue around the lateral brackets and then popped them off. She then used some wire tie to anchor the bypass wire into the four surrounding brackets. Thankfully the burr tool, which sounds like a drill, didn't hurt! I'm not sure if this was the same tool Nina used when she repositioned my lower brackets.

All of my upper teeth, except for maybe the back two molars, are feeling sensitive already. My right lateral feels electric and like it's just sort of floating in space and not anchored in the bone very well. I've had visions of just pulling that bugger out! The left one is sensitive but not as bad. I can definitely feel the inside of my lip pressing against the square part of the wire, hopefully I won't get a sore there. My cheeks are feeling numb again and a little bit tingly like when I know there is movement going on. I suppose an adjustment will do that. I seem to have developed a habit of sucking on my front uppers. I'm really noticing that right now.

So the plan is to go to Dr G on Tuesday to get the bonding done. Then back to Dr W on Wednesday to get brackets back on. I'm praying that 50 minutes is enough time to get the bonding done because that was the only time Dr G had available. It's just that Dr W's office is closed for vacation the first two weeks of July so I really need to get all this done before then. It would be a sweet deal to only have this bypass wire in for 7 days!

5 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow, cool looking, haven't seen that before. Good luck! Mary

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Is this the new StarWars version of an archwire? Maybe it is the Up2Down2....hehe
Lookin quite smancy. I must say!

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said...

wow that is the weirdest contraption i have ever seen. I cant even imagine how irritating that would be to the inside of your mouth. Hopefully they will be able to bond this week and remove that funny lookin thing! Then you will be so close to being surgery ready!!!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Whoa, I've never seen anything like that! What exactly is the purpose of the bypass wire? That is a THICK WIRE!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Erin: notice that there are no brackets on my laterals, hence the bypass. This is to give my dentist room to do the bonding. And yes, this wire sucks and has been the most painful one so far. It tastes bad and makes it really hard to brush effectively. My appointment is tomorrow at 8:20am for bonding, I'm praying that he'll have enough time to do both teeth with the 50 minute block of time I've been given!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home