Friday, January 26, 2007

Phone call #1

Nearly three weeks have passed since Cheri called in to Dr T's office to tell them I'd be ready in the summer. I figured there was no point in following up too soon but today I finally gave in and rang them up. The news is that it's still just too early to give a forecast. I was informed that Dr T hasn't been given his summer hospital time yet, which is usually booked in 2-3 month blocks, but that I would definitely be getting a call once they begin scheduling who needs what and when. So if I'm ready to go in May or June, maybe I won't have a date until sometime in March? I guess I'll trying calling back in a few more weeks.

In the meantime I thought I'd post this photo showing how the shape of the big space between my upper and lowers is changing. My lowers have really decompressed a lot and I can definitely feel my bite changing again. The only drawback is that now that my occlusion is getting flatter it means my mandible has to move farther forward to completely close. The side effect of that is that I'm having more tension in my TMJ which feels like stretching an elastic. It's not painful right now but is still uncomfortable and annoying. I think I will mention this to Dr W at my next visit. I really ought to go back for another Cranial Sacral session to help loosen me up.

compare smile adj 2 wk 4 and adj 3 wk 0

My lower incisors are still nowhere near level yet. I've been wondering when that might start to happen. I still have two more wires to go on the bottom so I guess there is still time for that. It's just that I've noticed a couple of other people on the subway with braces and the lowers were insanely level and straight...I want that!

I also referred one of my co-workers to Dr W recently. She has a daughter who needs some work. Today was her first appointment and she was very pleased. Yay Dr W!

3 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Graham,
I know exactly what you are talking about regarding your TMJ issues. I'm having the same think happen only in the reverse. Now that my teeth are almost level and aligned, I find myself thrusting my lower jaw forward all day long to make my bite feel right. Consequently when I go to bed at night my jaw is killing me! As much as I'm dreading the actual surgery process, I'm actually really looking forward to it for the relief of my apnea and my TMJ issues.

I know it probably seems like it is taking forever for your teeth to get corrected, but I'm always amazed when I look at your pics by just how far you have come already! Trust me, it will all come together eventually, and it will definitely be worth the wait!

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Hi Graham, nice blog. Your story is very similar to mine. My orthognathic surgery (at the age of 48) came about b/c I had gone to a dentist to get my mercury fillings replaced and then to have cosmetic crowns. Like you, I had been unhappy with the way my teeth looked for many years and finally decided to do something. Only I had no idea I had an overbite. Two years after starting to see my dentist, he casually mentioned I would need braces for my overbite before he could proceed any further.
Anyway, your teeth have already changed dramatically and you have already been through a lot! It will be interesting to see how things progress for you. You may have to wait until after surgery to get your teeth alligned exactly as you want. At least that is how its working in my case. I had a "bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomies with mandibular advancement and genioplasty" on 10/25/06 (I think its a BSSO but am not sure--I'm not that savy with the lingo like you guys!) and discovered after the surgery that my teeth shifted because of the new bite. I now have spaces where I didn't before so he is working on closing those up. I don't imagine that this is unique to my case but you may want to ask your orthodontist about that. I had to wait a year and five months for my surgery and the time does go by fast so don't worry, you will be in surgery soon enough. Mary
PS--Like I wrote on Cary's blog, so many blogs, so little time. I have been following your blog and have been meaning to write.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Hi Mary... Thanks so much for reading! You're right, so many blogs, heh. I think a few more popped up just this week that I hadn't seen yet. ...So yeah, I guess since I had all the action in the beginning of my treatment is why things seem rather slow right now. I'm hoping to get that call from my OS soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home