Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dentistry for the less fortunate

Edit: Looks like the good people of Toronto came though for this guy.

Readers Respond To Man's Plight
Man Amazed by Dental Care Offers

This article was on the front page of the Toronto Star this morning. The whole situation is really unfair and frustrating. My brother is in this situation exactly.

Why Is He Out Of Work?

I'm not sure I totally agree with the article's idea that poverty causes tooth decay. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean their teeth are guaranteed to fall out. Genetics and behaviour have a lot to do with it as well. It's quite possible to have good oral hygiene while unemployed. I understand how one thing leads to another though and how depression might get in the way of good oral habits. Hopefully Canada will begin offering basic care at some point.

3 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Hey Graham! Wow, a fellow Class III! We're a rare bunch. ;) I've linked you into my blog as well so we can check out each other's progress.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

NOW, you're bloggin'. Gettin' all political and stuff.
I think poverty and tooth decay are the result of a lot of the same things, and they put people in a ruthless, vicious cycle that is hard to break free from.
In America, though we have no official system of socialized medicine, there is assistance for the very poorest, and the wealthy and fortunate working middle class are ok, but it's always those who struggle, who work and work trying to do the right thing who end up getting the short end. It's a damned shame, Graham. I always advise people to do their best to get employed with a good employer who offers good benefits. That's the best you can do. And, of course, there are the AMAZING few who save and save a little bit every day. I really admire them a lot for their discipline.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U of T has a dental clinic that the Dental Students opperate in to take care of low income people needing dental care. It's not free but apparently the fee's are reduced.
I'm not sure why his partner needed to empty her bank account to pay for his procedure. I think a lot of dental offices allow patients to pay in installments if they clearly can't afford to pay all at once. I'm sure that isn't the policy of every office, but if you shop around especially in Toronto where there are hundreds of dentists, you're bound to find an office that is willing to accomidate you. I bet that guy didn't know that though.

Such a difficult situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home